How to make sure you’re being ‘gas safe’
New research by the Gas Safe Register has shown that many of us are not as ‘gas safe’ as we think.
In a recent survey, 76% of people owned a working smoke alarm, but only 47% had an audible carbon monoxide alarm. Bearing in mind we all have a boiler in our homes, that’s a pretty worrying statistic.
More worrying still, only 19% of those surveyed knew that you wouldn’t be able to tell if your gas appliance or boiler had a leak – assuming there would be some visible sign or a smell. Unfortunately, many people don’t know they’re suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning until it’s too late.
So what can you do?
The best way to detect any leaks is to fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm. Position it as close to your gas appliances or boiler as you can for early detection.
Get your gas appliances serviced and safety checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer once a year.
Check appliances for warning signs of inefficiency such as black marks or stains around the appliance. Condensation around the room or yellow flames instead of blue are also signs that something is wrong.
Familiarise yourself with the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – nausea, headaches, dizziness, shortness of breath, collapse and even loss of consciousness. If you suspect yourself or others are exhibiting signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, call the NHS’s non-emergency number 111 or an ambulance by dialing 999.
Worried about your old boiler?
Domestic & General offer maintenance service plans (which include an annual Gas Safe service) for combination and condensing boilers under 8 years old and conventional boilers under 15 years old.
Gas Safety Week runs from 17th-23rd September 2018.